Boningale have been running an Environmental Management System for the past 7 years. 2014 has been another busy year for our EMS at Boningale and every January we review what we’ve achieved.
The annual review starts with our Management Review, all Company Directors and Management are present and includes a detailed look at the system. The system is now truly embedded into the company plans. The environmental performance is recorded and is used to set objectives for the coming year.
Objectives for the year are reported on:
- We continued our peat free growing trials this year and happily reported that Propagation has found some really good results and have now moved over to 93% peat free growing. We trialed some 2 litre herbaceous perennials, with the more vigorous varieties achieving saleability in a good time scale.
- Waste stream monitoring continues, and we have achieved 20% of our waste going into landfill and 80% being recycled.
- We monitor – energy usage, paper usage, fuel usage, peat usage, waste created, and have improved the way we keep this data and link it into our system and objectives. This will help evaluate Performance Indicators next year.
- We have replaced many of the external security lights around the site ensuring we are keeping up with the latest energy efficient technologies.
We have 7 objectives for 2015:
- Implement the new ISO 14001 2015 updated standard.
- To collate and record Suppliers Environmental Credentials.
- To monitor peat use.
- To monitor fuel use for delivery vehicles.
- To monitor our waste stream.
- To use up to date and low energy technologies where it is possible and practical to do so.
- To continually improve knowledge of non-chemical plant protection products.
We review our Policy annually which includes two more commitments this year:
- Producing crops responsibly following current Codes of Practice, legislation, assessing risks to the environment, and taking into consideration sustainability of products used.
- Promoting and encouraging ecological diversity in planting schemes through specialist advice and growing a wide range of approved plant species to encourage wildlife and biodiversity.
The full reviewed policy can be seen on our websites. http://www.boningale.co.uk/environmental-policy/
We are now looking forward to our EMS Audit in February.